Global Insurance Services
In any insurance dispute, early identification of critical elements is essential, regardless of where a party sits in the insurance pyramid: insurer, excess, cedent, reinsurer or policyholder. Identifying exposure for extra-contractual claims, understanding the timing of responses and investigation, and assessing whether there are global implications of the outcome are just a few of the issues that should be examined.
The attorneys in the Global Insurance Services Group apply their collective experience to identify the key issues that can often make the difference between an average outcome and an excellent result.
Our approach is uncomplicated. We understand that each engagement is unique, and we pride ourselves on working collaboratively with our clients to achieve a cost-effective solution. We start by teaming with our clients to understand what drives a particular insurance dispute, and then we map out a realistic strategy for achieving a resolution. The process may include: a comprehensive audit; policy reviews; regulatory advice; positioning a dispute for resolution at the business level (either through interim funding or non-waiver agreements); negotiations among counsel; mediation; fully involved arbitration; or full involved litigation.
Our attorneys possess comprehensive knowledge of the complexities that frequently arise in insurance disputes. Our group is comprised of dozens of attorneys throughout all of our offices, all seamlessly connected through technology. With this approach, we ensure a cohesive and singular position for clients represented in different venues on similar issues.
Because of our broad base of experience, we consider ourselves uniquely qualified to represent our clients on an international level. Our attorneys:
- Are accomplished speakers and presenters in all arenas of insurance practice
- Regularly educate colleagues and members of the insurance industry
- Include the editor of the renowned Couch on Insurance treatise and authors of the Appleman on Insurance treatise
- Hold key leadership positions in state and national insurance organizations, including the Defense Research Institute, the International Association of Defense Counsel, International Claim Association, the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel, and the Federation of Regulatory Counsel
- Publish CaseWatch: Insurance, which provides analysis of insurance coverage decisions across the United States
- Publish Reinsurance Review, providing timely summaries and access to the latest reinsurance law, news, and developments worldwide
- Publish the Environmental Coverage Report and Life, Health, Disability, and ERISA
- Maintain a daily blog entitled the Insurance and Reinsurance Report, focusing on recent insurance decisions
- Earned the Law Firm of the Year award from Reactions at its 2014 London Market Awards
- Earned the 2014 USA Insurance Law Firm of the Year award from Lawyer Monthly, along with the Insurance and Reinsurance Lawyer of the Year titles in both the United States and the United Kingdom
- Are ranked in the United Kingdom editions of Legal 500 and Chambers for insurance and reinsurance litigation
- Are listed in the insurance and reinsurance editions of the international Who’s Who Legal and Expert Guides directories
- Ranked as a finalist for the Best Law Firm distinction in Intelligent Insurer’s Global Awards in 2013, 2014, and 2015
- Earned a Highly Commended ranking in the U.S.–Overall Leaders category in the 2013 Legal Elite, an annual survey conducted by the international publication Intelligent Insurer, and led the firm to a No. 6 rank on Reinsurance magazine’s Power List in 2010
The attorneys at Goldberg Segalla also have extensive experience in many specialized areas of insurance law, allowing us to provide cost-effective counsel for our clients.
- Bad Faith and Extra-Contractual Litigation
- Directors and Officers Liability Coverage
- Environmental and Complex Torts Coverage
- Excess and Surplus Lines
- Fidelity Bonds and Financial Services Insurance
- Insurance Fraud
- Insurance Regulatory
- Life, Health, Disability, and ERISA
- Professional Liability (Errors and Omissions)
- Property Loss and Business Interruption